Monday 14 December 2009

Today's strategic planning meeting

Today the strategic planning committee refused permission for the changes to the harbour wall and could subsequently of lost over 50 million pounds worth of convergence funding for the Isle of Scilly ferry link. This must be a bitter blow for the Cornish economy and could have wider implications for current and future job's in and around Penzance. I have to ask what are our priorities as a council. Are we really so stuck in the past that we can turn down this kind of opportunity to regenerate the duchy and increase it's profile. Do we really believe we can raise job expectation and wages here without investment.
Andrew George MP is perfectly in titled to his opinion on this issue. I don't agree with him but I respect him for saying what he thinks. I'm becoming increasing concerned however that there could appear to be(in my opinion) a party line appearing on planning application's. I have never experienced this before on planning in my three years. I would never and could never be told how I should vote on any particular planning application. Planning is subjective and as such there should be no lines. However Andrew George has made his opinions on Option A( Penzance habour) very clear. I did note today that every Liberal Democrat voted the same way. It is not for me to say whether there was or wasn't a party line on this, however this isn't the first time this has happened. On a recent wind turbine application in Davidstow a member of the Liberal Democrats sent an email to all councillors before the meeting to outline his opinions on wind energy. This vote wasn't recorded but every Liberal on that committee(bar one who abstained) voted in favour of the wind farm. I opposed this application because of the detrimental impact on Roughtor and Brown willy.
I hope for their sake there has been no use of their whip here as this would have big ramifications on decisions made.
I'm not saying whether there has been or not. I'm merely pointing out factual voting records.

2 comments:

  1. Lost £50 million pounds? How so? I was under the impression that there was no limitation for the allocation of the funds, and that it was not transferable. As a councillor yourself, and obviously in a position where you should have all the facts at hand, why do you make the claim that the money has now gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It says could, not have. However it may become apparent that option C isn't deliverable and the link get's moved to Falmouth. Which in my opinion would be a disaster for Penzance.

    ReplyDelete